ChatGPT is coming soon to Android devices after being available on iOS for a few months.
OpenAI announced via tweet today that the ChatGPT Android app will launch next week.
The app is already listed on the Google Play Store, and though you can’t download it yet, you can pre-register to be notified when it’s available.
RELATED: Full AI Coverage at The Dept of Next
ChatGPT Android App: International Roll-Out
Details about the Android app are still limited but screenshots show it will likely be similar to the iOS version. Both free and paid ChatGPT Plus accounts are supported in the iOS app.
It is unclear if the Android rollout will be in all countries at once. The iOS app took about a week to expand beyond the U.S. The app appears available for pre-registration in the UK, so an international launch is possible.
The ChatGPT mobile experience is essentially the same as the web version, on a smaller screen. Conversations sync across devices and you can ask about anything from gift ideas to history. It remains to be seen if voice input, available on iOS, will also be an option for Android.
What Is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is an AI chatbot created by the research company OpenAI.
Here are some key facts about the application:
• ChatGPT is an AI chatbot that you can interact with by typing in plain English. It aims to have an open-ended, human-like conversation or provide information on any topic.
• ChatGPT employs a deep learning technique called GPT-4, which stands for Generative Pre-trained Transformer 4.
• While ChatGPT aims to be helpful, accurate and safe, it is still an AI system prone to false or dangerous outputs at times. Users are advised to verify its responses on their own and exercise caution.
• ChatGPT was released to the public in November 2022 in a limited beta test version.
• ChatGPT is intended to be an assistant to help people be more productive, rather than a replacement for human intelligence.
• Some concerns have been raised about ChatGPT, such as the potential for the system to be used to generate misinformation at scale, so it’s important to use ChatGPT, and any generative AI with caution and responsibility.